Tips To Prepare Your Pipes For Winter
Have you prepared your plumbing for winter? Damage caused from burst pipes can cost you thousands, of dollars. Not all damage is covered by homeowner’s insurance. We want to make sure you know some simple steps to get you prepared. Follow these 7 simple steps to get off to a great start. Find yourself in a bind? Brogdon Plumbing is here to help! Give us a call.
- Prepare your outdoor faucets. Remove and drain your water hoses and store them indoors before the first freeze.
- Fix leaks now. Inspect your pipes and have any/all leaks repaired.
- Wrap any pipes in unheated areas of the home. This is crucial, for mobile homes. Visit the hardware store and grab some heat tape and/or pipe insulation. There are also easy to install kits, that include a thermostat. These kits can help you in the event of frigid temps for long periods. Don’t hesitate to ask an employee for recommendations. Protecting the pipes in your home, from low temperatures is THE single most important thing that you can do.
- Tune up your water heater. You will want to drain and maintain your water heater at this time every year.
- Service your furnace. Make sure you have clean filters and call a professional to help.
- Selling your home or heading south for winter? Shut off the water, in your home, completely and consider draining your pipes. Any water left in your pipes is at risk of freezing and causing pipes to bust. If nobody is home, the damage can be widespread and severe. Don’t take chances.
- Call SERVPRO at 423-745-4165.